Shopping for a Door Alarm Sensor? Here’s How to Find the Best One!
One of the best devices for improving the security of your house/apartment is the door sensor. If you’re wondering why this is the case, the answer is pretty obvious – this sensor will secure the entry to your home. In order to get inside your house or apartment, the burglars will have to use either the door or the windows. And if entry sensors are there, the burglar is likely to change their decision and run away.
We believe that every home should have this type of security features installed on all the doors, as well as windows. You might not share our opinion, which is why we suggest taking a look at some shocking statistics provided by the FBI:
- There are about 2.5 million burglaries a year in the United States. Globally, that number is much, much higher.
- Most burglaries happen between 6am and 6pm, when most people are at work.
- Burglaries are more likely to happen during summer than any other time of the year.
- A home without a security system is 4 times more likely to get broken into.
- Only 17% of US households have a working security system.
If your home belongs to the 17% of the homes with no security system, you should know that these days such systems don’t cost too much. If you want to ensure the security of your home but still save your money, our advice is to focus on door/window sensors!
How Does a Door Alarm Sensor Work?
The most common type of entry sensors that can be used on doors and windows is the magnetic sensor. Basically, the sensor is made of two parts, which have magnets inside that attract each other. One goes on the door, the other goes on to the wall.
The two parts need to be installed carefully in order to be very close to one another once the door is closed. Actually, they need to be close enough so that a magnetic connection between the two can be made. And once the connection is made between the two parts, your door is secured. Breaking the connection between the two by opening the door will cause the alarm to go off.
How to Find the Best Door Alarm Sensor?
These devices are based on a very simple principle, hence they’re not that difficult to make. And that’s why many manufacturers offer them at very attractive prices. However, simply putting two magnets together is not enough to ensure your security. The door sensor needs to have many other features in order to be considered good.
Main Features of Best Door Sensor Alarms
Here are some of the main things you need to pay attention to when shopping for a door/window alarm:
- Power Source – Some door sensors are powered by batteries, others require AC power. If you decide to go with the latter option, you should know that you’ll probably need a professional to take care of the installation.
- Range – Many of these devices come with a remote receiver that you can keep anywhere you want. This way, you can get alarmed even if you’re not close to the door in question. For example, you can use put the sensor on the garage door and keep the receiver in your living room. This way, you’ll know if someone tries to break into your garage.
- Siren – Most door/window sensors, particularly cheaper ones, don’t have Wi-Fi. But, most of them have a siren that will create a loud noise if the magnetic field gets interrupted.
- Reliability – What’s the purpose of a security device if it won’t work fine? You need a door/window sensors that won’t disappoint you, which is why advice is to focus only on those that are made by reputable manufacturers.
- Price – These devices should not be too expensive, because they’re based on a fairly simple principle. On top of that, you will probably need more than just one sensor, which is why we think you should look only for those with the price of under 50 bucks.
Best Door Sensors to Buy in 2019
Top-Rated Door Sensor with 52 Ringtones
How it works is that you get a receiver that needs to be plugged in an AC outlet, as well as a transmitter and a magnetic strip that you need to place on the door. Once the magnetic field between the transmitter and the strip is broken, a signal is sent to the receiver, causing it to start ringing.
- Operating Range of 400 feet – The maximum distance between the sensor and the receiver is 400 feet (120 meters). This means that you can set the sensor on your main door or use it as a garage door safety sensor, while keeping the receiver with you in the bedroom. And you will have peace of mind during the night, knowing that no one can get in without being noticed.
- 52 Ringtones – There are 52 different tunes you can choose from. The best thing is that you can use different ringtones for different doors if you add more transmitters to the system.
- Up to 10 transmitters – Although only one transmitter is included in the package, you can pair the receiver with as much as 10 transmitters, thus securing all the windows and doors in your home.
- 4 Volume Levels – You can set the noise level according to your preference. You can pick from four volume levels, the highest being 110 decibels.
- Variety of ringtones to choose from – This makes it a great choice not only for security purposes, but also as a regular doorbell.
- Adjustable voice levels – Turn it to the maximum if you want it to shout the burglars away; keep the volume down if you want to find out when your children or your spouse come back home.
- No keypad – Because there’s no keypad on the receiver, you can’t set up a password and that means that anyone who gets ahold of the receiver can turn the alarm off.
There are so many things we like about this WiFi door sensor, starting with its price. It’s unbelievably cheap! It’s also very easy to install, its siren is really loud, and it even comes with a keypad meant to enhance your home’s security even further.
- Battery-powered – The system uses batteries, which makes it very easy to install. And this also means that you can put the sensors whenever you like it, even if the power source is not nearby.
- 4 Door/Window Sensors – The kit consists of one door alarm and three window sensors.
- Security Keypad – Secure it with a password, so that the ringtone can be stopped only when the right combination of numbers is entered.
- 120db Siren – The siren is really loud, making it great not at notifying everyone that you have visitors.
- Delayed alarm – You can set the system to start protecting your home 45 seconds after you’ve left the building.
- Very cheap – The price of this security kit is very low, especially if you consider what you’re getting in return.
- Password protected – The 4-digit keypad allows you to add an extra layer of security to your home by setting a password that can turn off the alarm.
- 150-feet range – Even the 150-feet maximum range between sensors and receiver isn’t too impressive, but some customers claim that it’s in fact even shorter.
5 Door Sensor WiFi Kit
There are 5 door/window sensors in the kit, as well as a bridge device, which has Wi-Fi so that you can connect this system to your smartphone.
- 5 Sensors – The sensors are very easy to install, literally anyone can do it. Apart from detecting a break-in, these sensors can detect water leaks, high temperature, and so on.
- Bridge Element – This unit allows you to connect the system to your smartphone. Another thing you will need for that is the Notion app. When done, you will be able to use your phone to control the system remotely.
- 5 easy-to-install sensors – In order to set up this system, you will need to spend no more than 10 or 15 minutes.
- Smartphone-compatible – This is a security system that you can control via your smartphone, but also via your computer, Alexa, or some other compatible device.
- Price – This is the most expensive item on our list, but this shouldn’t stop you from buying it. If you want to have peace of mind that your home is safe and secure, this kit is the right choice, no matter the price.
Installing entry sensors is one of the easiest and most affordable ways of improving the security of your home. There really is no reason not to get at least one door sensor right away and if you want the best one, just choose one from our list. We promise that if you buy one of these three items, you will not get disappointed with their performances!