Chromebook Parental Controls Solutions In 2018
Most people are aware that they can set up parental controls on their desktops, laptops, phones, and tablets. However, with the Chromebook being somewhat of a combination of a laptop and tablet, people tend to forget that good parental control should be applied there as well.
As is the case with any well-respected company, Google offers their own parental protection for the Chromebook. Nevertheless, what they offer might not be enough and it could be a fantastic idea to turn to a third-party solution. This article will cover everything you need to know about setting up parental controls for Chromebook in 2018.
Google Chromebook and Parental Control
Chromebooks were specifically designed to access the internet. This is why they are hard for parents to control. Sadly, the situation became even worse starting January 12th of this year because Google removed the Supervised User functionality. They also failed to replace this feature with a similar one. Thanks to that Chromebooks are now very difficult to control without a third-party solution.
However, there are still several things that can be done, even though they might be a bit more complicated than just simply downloading an app. To begin with, open the DNS on your home router and then follow these instructions:
1. Make one of the parents the owner – Usually, the first user that sets up the Chromebook is considered the “owner” of the Chromebook and is able to set up certain privileges. This is pretty much the same as being the “admin” on any Windows platform. It’s important for the parent to be the “owner of the Chromebook so he can set up proper parental controls.
2. Guest browsing should be turned off – Even though the feature “supervised users” got removed by Google, you will still be getting certain parental control by turning off guest browsing.
3. Limiting users – Make sure only approved users can log in to your Chromebook. There will be your administrative log-in and any users that you created. If you don’t do this, anyone that has a Google profile will be able to log-in to your Chromebook.
4. Using a filter – Last but not least, using a filter might be better than anything else. Just about any Chromebook parental control app can do a fantastic job of replacing the “supervised users” feature that Google used to have. Below you will be able to read about some of the best apps for the job.
The Blocksi manager offers one of the most versatile Chromebook internet filtering and trend analysis solutions. A lot of schools began using Chromebooks as soon as they appeared on the market. Since 2011, when Blocksi was introduced most of those schools installed it on their Chromebooks.
Blocksi has several fantastic features that will help any parent:
– Administrator Dashboard – This feature gives you a chance to filter policies, collect analytics for all managed users. On top of that, you will also be able to recover a stolen or lost Chromebook.
– Parent Dashboard – The most important feature, when it comes to parental control. Through it, the parent can set time access controls on the Chromebook for any available content. This allows the parent to actively follow what their children are accessing and also enforce bedtime.
– A.I powered trends – A feature that gives every Chromebook user the chance to spot harmful behavior.
Considered to be one of the best solutions for advanced parental control. It’s excellent that it works perfectly as a parental control Google chrome app for protecting your Chromebook. Here are some of the key features it offers:
– Limit your children to only age-appropriate websites. You can also block all the websites that have some harmful content.
– Keep an eye on all the apps that are being downloaded.
– You can set up limits for internet usage for every user profile. Every time one of those user profiles accesses the internet a notification will come up and you will be able to see everything that they attempt in the browsing history.
– Monitor every device, including your Chromebook from one parent account.
– Manage everything that is done online on the Chromebook.
– Last but not least, we have to mention that this solution protects iOS, Android, Windows, Mac and of course Chromebook devices.
Both solutions mentioned above are great and they will do a fantastic job. However, we believe that mSpy would be the better choice. It works well on any platform, including Chromebooks.
MSpy is a monitoring application that gets installed on the device as a hidden app and gives the user an opportunity to monitor his devices from anywhere. It has a very easy-to-use control panel and 24/7 live customer support which makes it one of the best solutions when it comes to parental control.
Some of the features it offers include:
– GPS location
– Tracking web history
– Tracking images, videos, and keystrokes
– Following Emails and SMS messages
– Tracking applications like Skype, WhatsApp, and many others.
Thanks to this features mSpy give parents the opportunity always to know how safe their children are when they are not around; the people they are in contact with; the sites that the children visit online; the places they visit and much more. All in all, mSpy is a fantastic solution for anyone who is looking for a cost-effective parental solution for their Chromebook.
To conclude, parental control for Chromebooks is just as important as the parental control for any other device. As we mentioned above, ever since Google removed the supervised user functionality, having a third-party parental control solution became a must.
Nevertheless, you can find tons of apps which can help you with that. We even reviewed some of the above, and they can all do a fantastic job when it comes to Chromebook parental controls of 2018. Even though all of them can solve your needs, we are gladly recommending mSpy, because it works on all devices and it’s a very good choice for your Chromebook.
All in all, Chromebooks are specifically designed to browse the internet which is why it’s important to have good parental control on. So, if you are looking for exactly that, make sure you check out mSpy and you won’t be disappointed.